Outlined below are some ways you can manage your Domain Name System:
- Creating and editing your records: Find out if the hosting service you want to use allows you to have full authority on creating and editing the records of your domain’s elements. Having the power over the nature or characteristics of your domain’s records may improve the efficiency and performance of your domain.
- Choice of servers: If you have absolute control of your DNS management, you will have the liberty to choose or specify which server handles which process in your domain. This is done by pointing a query to a particular server. And if that server is offline, it can point to another server that will be able to provide the required answers/responses to the queries.
- Control panels: Most hosting services let you have access to your website’s control panels. From there, you can manage your domains, sub-domains, email settings, mail records, WHOIS records, and so on. You can manage the content of your website and its overall feel. In fact, with an in-built Domain Manager, you can alter your domain records with just a few clicks.
- Name server registration: You can also have the freedom of registering your own name server. Most companies outsource this part of their IT infrastructure to external DNS service providers. However, if you can register your own name servers in-house, it won’t only save you some money, but it will also give you the power to supply a name that is similar to your business name to those servers.
- DNS propagation: One good thing about managing your own Domain Name System is that you can be in charge of your DNS propagation, to a great extent. You can constantly, if you like, change your “Time to Live” TTL setting so that changes to your domain records can propagate quickly. If you have let an Internet Service Provider handle that for you, it may take between 24 and 48 hours before such changes manifest. Similarly, managing your own DNS gives you the freedom to select the best registry for your domain. This is because different registries have different DNS propagation times.